Measuring for new radiator - centre pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SEB
Labourer
Labourer

Measuring for new radiator - centre pipe

by SEB » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:08 pm

We want to replace our existing bathroom radiator with a heated towel rail and do not want to pull up floor boards to move pipes if at all possible as the floor that is down would be a pain to lift. As a result I want to look for a new rad of the correct size to fit between the existing pipes. Have been looking on various sites and alot give the 'centre pipe' dimensions which I presume is what I need?

Now the stupid question :oops: (I am female, but not blonde I may add), should I measure the gap between the existing pipes or between the existing valves attached to them? The meaurement between the pipes is 550mm and valves is 510mm.

TIA

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Your existing radiator probably has a valve connected at each end (with the two hot water pipes then coming up into the bottom of those valves). But most heated towel rails have the connections into the bottom (although some do have them in the side). So the first thing you must do is decide what type of rail you want. If you are really fortunate, you may find a rail with connection centres the same as the centres of your existing pipes. If you do, you can fit new 'in line' chromed valves straight into the bottom of the new rail and your existing pipes will then connect into the bottom of these new valves. You will most likely find however that you will have to do some small pipework adjustments but hopefully you'll not need to disturb the existing floor. Good luck.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Even if you are lucky enough to find the pipe centre width fit with your new rad, you will almost certainly find that another problem exists namely the distance from the wall. Towel rads normally stand away from the wall about 2.5 - 3.0" whereas normal radiators are much less.

Be prepared to adapt pipes. You should find it possible to do any alteration above floor level.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:11 pm

you will be extremely lucky to find a rail that will neatly slot onto the existing pipework. i doubt very much that you will get away with not re-doing the pipes, at least to some extent. but as has been said it shouldn't be too tricky, provided you have long enough tails coming up through the floor. one trick is to put the towel rail a little higher up this will give more room for pipe adjustment below. good luck!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:30 pm