Minimum roof height
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neilf
Labourer
Labourer

Minimum roof height

Post by neilf » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi all.

I'm planning an extension to my flat. The drawings that the architect has come up with propose a 3 metre high room, and a 3 metre high corridor connecting the room to the main part of the flat.

However, the neighbours have said that they would prefer if the corridor was less high, perhaps around 2.5 metres.

The architect's view is that this would involve digging into the ground, and having a step down into the extension, which would be expensive.

However, it seems to me that 3 metres is really quite high. The ceiling in my kitchen is only 2.2 metres in my kitchen at the moment, which seems fine to me.

Obviously I understand that there needs to be extra space below the floor and above the ceiling, but 80cm of extra space seems like a lot to me.

So, my question is, what is the minimum height that I would need to build my extension to have an internal ceiling height of, say, 2.2m?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Neil.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:17 pm

neilf,
If your architect has seen and considered the existing structures and decided on an overall height requirement of 3m, then who are we as members of this forum to suggest he is wrong? Stick with what he says he must have reasons.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:53 am