Mitring external joints on skirtingboard
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
capers626
Labourer
Labourer

Mitring external joints on skirtingboard

by capers626 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question about mitring external joints on torus type skirting board where I am fitting some sections which are missing :o .

I have had a look at previous posts on the subject on this site and elsewhere on the internet, but still a bit confused about the first stage before starting to do any angled cuts at 45 degrees (or otherwise if walls are out of alignment).

In my case, I have a section of wall which starts from an internal point and measures 27 inches across to an external corner, then a further 12 inches at a right angle to a different wall.

So I'm wondering exactly how to go about measuring accurately the lengths of skirting board I need prior to mitring for external joints (or scribing for internal ones).

I read something about just measuring up the apex of the corner from each wall and then making a mark on the back of the skirting ready for mitring, but a few trial runs have left me rather puzzled :?

Can anyone shed any light on the process, step by step? :)

Thanks,

Andy

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:00 pm

capers626,
Cut the internal join first, then put the skirting board in place and draw a line on the back using the corner as a guide. You now need to cut at 45 deg (or something different if the corner is not 90 deg) so the cut ends on your line on the back ie the board needs to be longer on the outside.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:05 pm