More novice ceiling rose problems...
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Djcooran
Apprentice
Apprentice

More novice ceiling rose problems...

by Djcooran » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:07 pm

I've recently moved into a new house and I'm having some problems with the master bedroom light. It worked initially for a few weeks and then stopped. After trying a working bulb I decided to check the switch wiring and change the light fitting.

On changing the ceiling rose/light fitting I must have screwed up :( . The master bedroom light still doesn't work, but neither do the 2nd bedroom or lounge lights! I haven't touched any wiring other than in the ceiling rose in the master bedroom, which is as below.

It has 2 cables coming from the ceiling; cable 1 (black, red and earth) and cable 2 (red, red and earth). If I can describe the ceiling rose blocks (from left to right) and A, B and C I have these cables wired in the following manner:

A1 - blue to light
A2 - empty
A3 - black (cable 1)

B1 - red (cable 1)
B2 - red (cable 2)
B3 - empty

C1 - red (cable 2)
C2 - brown to light

The earths from both cables are connected to the separate copper earth pin.

Does this set up seem right? My girlfriend is just about ready to shoot me after plunging half the house into darkness...help!

Djcooran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sudden thought...

by Djcooran » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:54 pm

The en-suite to the master bedroom had a shaving light fitted when I moved in, which I have disconnected (through a rather crude taping up). Could these wires need to be connected to one of the miniature plastic circuit boxes to complete the circuit to the master bedroom? :oops:

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Hi , oops!
I think you may have 'lost' another cable in the ceiling!!!
What you show is perfectly correct IF it happens to be the last light in the circuit!
However as your light still not working & nor are others i think a cable has escaped back into ceiling void, if so it connects red to B3 & black to A2 plus E of course,
Be careful as it most likely is the live/neutral pair in from previous light on the circuit, sw. OFF b4 trying to 'fish for it'
if you look at Projects 'changing a light' you will see what you should have in glorious technicolour!!!
BTW for info, red/blk cable is looping feed cable & r/r is sw. cable
regards SPARX

Djcooran
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Djcooran » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:27 pm

I think I have figured out what the problem is (get ready for a good laugh at this one). The master bedroom light IS the last one in the loop. The one immediately before must be the shaving light in the en-suite which I have disconnected; thereby breaking the circuit. The spare bedroom and lounge lights are connected after the main bathroom shaving light which I have also disconnected (and broken that circuit).

I'm going to try to reconnect one of the shaving lights and test this theory. However, I don't want the shaving lights there permanently...

How do I disconnect the shaving lights without affecting the subsequent circuits?

(The shaving lights both have two cables coming out of the wall, both with red, black, and earth wires)

Thanks again

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi agn. unless more than one set of wires at shaver point then just make safe, if 2 sets then they will need connecting L-L, N-N, E-E to maintain circuit,
regards SPARX

Djcooran
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Djcooran » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks Sparx, that's what I've done now and everything works fine. I wasn't sure if the shaving light provided some sort of resistance which I would need to replicate somehow, but I realise what I've done is just the same as just having the circuit run straight past the shaving light.

Here's to hoping I don't need to tackle any more electrical DIY jobs soon!

(although I am putting off fitting spotlights in the hallway...)

Cheers,
David

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 pm