Mould around shower tray and showerhead
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
manrow
Labourer
Labourer

Mould around shower tray and showerhead

Post by manrow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:10 pm

I am well aware that mould forms on shower trays and shower heads.

However having moved to Devon it recurs after even a few weeks - it seems that little chlorine is added to the water down here is that possibly the reason?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:28 am

I thought chlorine was added to the water everywhere and it's purpose was to kill bugs not act as a fertiliser for mould.

Mould grows only in areas that are constantly damp or wet. Keeping the shower area warm and well ventilated will help evaporate the water and so the mould won't thrive on the dry surfaces .

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12 am

Ventilation is the answer.

htg

manrow
Labourer
Labourer

Post by manrow » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:43 am

You are quite right plumbbob, the chlorine is indeed designed to keep bugs at bay. But I had expected it to keep mould at bay since it is a fungi.

We have been in the habit of immersing the shower head in full strength bleach for several hours every few weeks yet the mould returns within days.

Htg engineer makes the same point that ventilation is the answer but we do try. There is an extractor fan in the ceiling of the bathroom and that runs for up to an hour after showering since it is set to a low moisture level.

We have never had this problem in other areas of the country, although in all of the other areas the chlorine could be distinctly smelt in the fresh water; here in Devon we don't notice it at all.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:08 am

Nothing to do with chlorine in the water.

Its a ventilation issue as HE says but its also an issue of the ambient humidity. You've moved to a high humidity area I'm guessing.

Wipe down the shower area with a cloth after showering - you'll be surprised how much water actually sits on the glass of a shower screen / cubicle and on the tiles.

Little more you can do.

Cheers

ironmonger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ironmonger » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Is it possible to fit a more powerful extractor fan or are all of them the same.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:55 pm

"Is it possible to fit a more powerful extractor fan or are all of them the same"

Can you explain a little more?

Cheers

ironmonger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ironmonger » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Our bathroom has a through wall vent with an internal extractor fan- the pipe is about the diameter of a drain pipe. It never seemed that powerful. I was wondering if it was possible to fit a more efficient type of fan and thereby help the mould problem.

manrow
Labourer
Labourer

Post by manrow » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 am

Our ensuite shower room has a through ceiling vent which apparently moves 70M3 of air per hour. Since the room is only about 9M3, that sounds like 8 changes of air per hour which I would have thought ought to be enough?

ironmonger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ironmonger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks for that but will need to keep using a wall vent.

PistolPete
Labourer
Labourer

Post by PistolPete » Wed May 13, 2009 1:21 pm

I have never tried it myself, but there actually are sprays out there that were made just for the purpose of keeping mold from coming back. You are supposed to spray it on the wet surfaces after your shower and that is supposed to keep all surfaces (plastic, glass, tiles...) clean.

I even saw a battery-powered one which is being attached to the shower head (from below so it doesn't run full of water...) and sprays in regular intervals. Can't tell you where I saw it, but it does exist...

PistolPete
Labourer
Labourer

Post by PistolPete » Wed May 13, 2009 1:22 pm

I have never tried it myself, but there actually are sprays out there that were made just for the purpose of keeping mold from coming back. You are supposed to spray it on the wet surfaces after your shower and that is supposed to keep all surfaces (plastic, glass, tiles...) clean.

I even saw a battery-powered one which is being attached to the shower head (from below so it doesn't run full of water...) and sprays in regular intervals. Can't tell you where I saw it, but it does exist...

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:13 pm