Mould caused by Wardrobe - how do i get rid of it now?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markw
Labourer
Labourer

Mould caused by Wardrobe - how do i get rid of it now?

by markw » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi there,

We moved into an old (about 100 years old) semi detatched house around 6 months ago with no problems of mould or damp. during the summer there were major rain storms in the area and since then we've discovered that mould has started growing in a couple of places in 2 of our upstairs bedrooms. The reason (I think) is because the wardrobes were too close to the external wall and with poor circulation. we've now moved the wardrobes and the level of mould has stabilized, however i can't seem to permanently get rid of it. we keep spraying it with anti mould stuff, and it stays away for a week or so, but it keeps coming back. anyone know whats the best way to get rid of it totally? would a dehumidifier make much difference? is there a better spray i can use? has anyone had similar experiences and have solved this? any help would be much appreciated! thanks in advance.

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

mould

by dcmoore » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:04 pm

There are a range of anti mould paints and additives available that can provide a much more long term solution to the problem. You're right to keep the wardrobes away from the walls but spraying with water-based mould removers will not help as it's just adding more moisture to the issue.
If its an exeternal wall you're dealing with then you may want to check for leaks or cracks on your brickwork and pointing. Its always best to locate and isolate the source of moisture first otherwise your problems will just keep coming back.
If in doubt take a look at the damp project for Property Repair systems. This should hopefully give you some idea of what to do next.

Good luck!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:11 pm