Mould under paint in bathroom
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gash2024
Labourer
Labourer

Mould under paint in bathroom

by gash2024 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:04 pm

I painted my bathroom last year just before our new bathroom was fitted and i cleaned the ceiling because it had some mould on it where the coving was and a little on the ceiling but much to my horror its coming back and looks to be under the new paint :( ive cleaned it about 10 times with polycell 3-1 mould remover and its got the surface mould off but i can see it under the paint so i keep cleaning it to stop its growth.
I really dont know what to do and iam worried i have a major problem on my hands because the mould is under the paint, its not to much and only seems to be small specks here and there + a thin line where the coving was but i dont wont to paint it again and it comes back or makes the problem worst :( .
Any help would really be appreciated

simonwar
Apprentice
Apprentice

by simonwar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:38 am

You get mould in humid/wet environments - no where else. (Water is retained in warm air more than cold, so hot air is more humid)

Bathrooms are notoriously humid, (obviously), because of the use of hot water in baths and showers, so better ventilation and extract will reduce your problem.

Typically you get mould around windows, the reason is because of the dew point for moisture in the air is being hit by the cold window frames, causing moisture bubbles and therefore a perfect environment for mould.

You also get it on ceilings because hot air rises and condenses on the cooler ceiling. You always see it in the corners because are rises and spreads out until it his a corner where it gets trapped by which time it has cooled and water leaves the cooling air on contact with any cooler surface.

You can buy mould removing paint, but this is really masking the problem. If its a minor problem then OK, a bit of "Black Friars" or "Thompsons" Damp Seal

(http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... +damp+seal)

will do the trick, but if there's a lot of damp ... which will smell of course, (damp smells fousty), you need to improve ventilation.

An extract fan or a dry air positive input fan is usually the best solution for all situations, along with ventilation, by leaving a window open after bathing, leaving doors ajar, etc works in sharing out the humidity throughout the home.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:43 am