Moving a window - building regs needed?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
worm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Moving a window - building regs needed?

by worm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I intend to move my kitchen window 1200 w x 1400 H to the left by about a foot (1 1/2 course) and replace with a new 1200 w x 1000 H window.

Obviously work involved is removal of current window and old concrete lintel, replace with new lintel??? type?? resting on internal course pad stones and brick work up surrounding area both to the side and above, due to new window size -fit window - done!

Do I require building regs to do this?

What if the window installer is FENSA reg, do I still need building reg for structural change?

I have recently removed the wall joining the lounge to the kitchen, for which I have paid and been approved via building reg's, is it at all possible to include this window adjustment under that change - or will I be required to submitt a entire new job, or can I pay additional to get this approved adn things moving?

Any help/guidance is welcomed!!

Thanks all

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:25 pm

i doubt that building controls will allow you put addtion on to old application unless this has not been approved yet.
As you are moving lintel, it becomes a structual issue and you will need building controls to be involved and may be structual engineer. the window can be replaced by a fensa reg. window fitter without build control application but you still need to inform them of structual work.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1