Mysterious Double Glazing Breakage
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
whittleman
Labourer
Labourer

Mysterious Double Glazing Breakage

by whittleman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:03 pm

Please bear with me while I explain.

We moved into a rented property 2 months ago. In the first week the internal glass in a top sash of one of the windows broke. No strike or impact had happened that we knew of as we were out of the house when it broke.

Our managing agent said because it was the internal window we must have hit it at some point and we would have to pay for replacement.

I grudgingly accepted that the window was my responsibility and agreed to pay for repair. I had some second opinions and got a lower quote but also learnt that 2 windows in one room were 'illegal' as they did not have toughen glass in the lower sash and they were below the legal height of 800mm. I informed the agent about this.

Then last night in one of the 'illegal' windows the internal pane of the top sash broke in exactly the same manner. I informed the agent who said they would inform the landlord. This event seems an unlikely coincidence.

Here is what I know - all the windows are sealed units and all have standard 4mm glass. All are above the legal height bar the two mentioned. They are not brand new but equally they don't look old. They are the white plastic sort.

I therefore have a couple of questions:

1. How can this happen? Is it temperature related? Fitted incorrectly?

2. As they are illegal, who do I inform to protect me?

Any help and advice would be useful.

Thanks

mark863
Labourer
Labourer

by mark863 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:07 am

This has happened to me..in bed around 11.30pm on 18th me and my wife asleep when woken by sound of breaking glass...thought it was glass of water on bedside table..jumped up ,put light on,glass of water intact!...thinking what the heck was that...decided to have a look out the window...broken glass on window sill....open curtain,pull up blind to find small,top double glazed unit has smashed on the inside...the external side still intact???? this really freaked us out...it was not extremely cold out nor was the house very hot...been told it can happen but usually to do with extreme temps etc glass expanding and contracting...unfortunately our d/g seems to be past gaurantee....in your case I would chase up landlord for gaurantee.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:22 pm