mystery damp
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emilywalker
Labourer
Labourer

mystery damp

by emilywalker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:25 pm

hi there, i have a problem with slightly wet patches when the weather is poor and they turn to light sandy patches when it is dry, the issue is the patches are on an internal wall in the centre of the house, the patches are approx a meter off the floor. the mystery is that the damp is only on one side of the wall, the other side is bone dry with no patches! any ideas?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:04 pm

emilywalker,
Most likely cause is salt from a water softener - was/is one installed above the patches?
end

emilywalker
Labourer
Labourer

wet patches

by emilywalker » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:53 pm

thank you stoneyboy, i not too sure what has been installed as i have only lived in the house for 2 years, it was when i was decorating i unleashed a can of worms! what would be the solution to this problem? the patches are along the wall the stairs go up so im dreadding it being a big job!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:35 am

emilywalker,
Suggest you seal in and around the patches. Use a stain blocking paint and apply two coats but make sure it is solvent based. Use something like zinsser stain block.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:53 pm