Need Advice on new Immersion and Cold Water Storage
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

broadleon
Labourer
Labourer

Need Advice on new Immersion and Cold Water Storage

by broadleon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi

Recently we had a failure on both Immersion heater and cold water storage tank, both where leaking, 20+ years old and ready for retirement.

Now the cold water storage tank hand been placed directly above the immersion cylinder resting on two steal pipes driven through a masonry wall, why? i do not know, the pipes weren't level and the tank bowed, extremely dangerous in my opinion.

The feed from the cold water to the cylinder was a 28mm downpipe from the underneath of the tank, however pressure was low in the hot water tap for the bath.

We have recently brought a direct vented cylinder eco 7 to replace the old one, more or less like for like the only difference is there is slightly more litters capacity in the new tank due to it being 10cm taller.

I was thinking by place a new cold water tank back in the loft directly above the cylinder would be ok? i base this on the theory that if the walls in the cupboard where able to hold the old 90 litter tank for 20 years on two steal bars without the building falling down or the tank collapsing, battening across joists in the loft to the even the weight so it would rest directly above, the two walls on ether side of the cupboard would similarly be able to hold 114ltr tank.

so raising the tank in my opinion would add 0.1bar since going up about a 1.5 meters, but do i need to use a 28mm down pipe? if all the cold-water tank will feed is one water hot water cylinder. The hot water cylinder only needs to feed 3 taps, bath and sink in bathroom and sink in kitchen. Will a 28mm add anymore pressure than a 22mm downpipe ?

The shower and all other cold water taps feed directly from mains pressure pipe. there is no boiler or rads.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:00 pm