Neighbors loft conversion and party wall
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

joeyoung
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbors loft conversion and party wall

by joeyoung » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi,

I own a terraced house and my neighbor has an end of terrace. The neighbor recently applied for lawful loft conversion planning permission and got a permission. We share a party wall, but the the council did not write to us before arriving at a decision. Is this usual?

Now when I checked on the council web-page, the diagram shows that the loft conversion is within the boundaries of the the walls around. The diagram clearly shows no walls for loft conversion are on top of existing walls, the loft walls are inward and do touch the chimney wall. Where as my neighbor has actually built the loft on the party wall, till the center of party wall and taking half of the chimney on their side. So my question is:

1) If I were to do a loft conversion tomorrow, how does this impact me?
2) Is it allowed to get planning permission on a low scale specifications and then change the specs? The original diagrams submitted to secure planning permission are different to what has been actually built
3) I do not want to be a pain, but if this impacts my future extensions, then while construction is still underway, what should I be doing?

Thanks for your responses.