Neighbours' Extension has crossed the Boundary Line
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Is it a problem if a neighbours' extension goes over the boundary line?

Yes - Don't let it happen!
100%
No problem - It's just an eyesore!
No votes

Total votes: 2
Zuperfella
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbours' Extension has crossed the Boundary Line

Post by Zuperfella » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi,

Trying to cut a long story short:

My neighbours are building a loft extension with Dormers front & back. The plans show the edges of the Dormers on their side of the boundary, with fascias placed up to the virtual boundary line between our respective halves of the roof.

I received and signed a 'Party Wall Notice' under Section 2 of the Party Wall Act and, as that tied in with the building plans I could view online, I signed it and genuinely wished them well for what would be a nice extension.

However, I've just arrived back from holiday and the frames of the Dormer extensions have incorrectly been built flush with the building line and thus the joists for the fascias already extend c.3" over my side of the chimney stack and roof, (thus I guess this will be at least 4" when finished... maybe 8" if guttering is fitted).

As building astride the boundary would have invoked Section 1 of the Party Wall Act it's clear that approval was neither sought nor has been given. I've just knocked next door but no one seems to be in, (I fear they may have moved out or gone on holiday whilst the works are progressing).

I'd naturally like this to be resolved amicably with the builders admitting they've built the Dormers in the wrong places and rectifying the problem... but until I can speak to them I'm mindful they may not see it that way! :?

Has anyone any experience in how these matters tend to pan out? Or if anyone thinks I'm being unreasonable in expecting the works to not cross over the boundary line please let me know!

Thanks,

Warren

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Zuperfella,
If you are viewing plans on line then planning permission was presumably granted. Contact the planning authority to voice your concerns. Your house will be unsaleable if you let the dormers encroach on your side.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1