neutral and earth connection
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fisha
Apprentice
Apprentice

neutral and earth connection

Post by fisha » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 pm

hi i was wondering can anyone tell me, if your meter does not hold a connection for connecting neutral to earth can you make then connection yourself using line taps and does the connection have to be outside the house any info would be grat thanks.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm. The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:42 pm

No you can't. The earthing system for each transformer has to be the same for all users on that transformer so a supply authority has to make the decision as to what type of earth system you have.
If you neighbour has a TN-C-S system then you can likely have the same but you need to ask correct questions.
It is up to the supply authority as I say to decide what system you have and you can phone them as ask them to tell you what system you should have. If you tell them your neighbour has TN-C-S then normally their only option is to send someone out to check. And then it is likely they will give you a TN-C-S system.
But be aware with earth rods you only need 6mm earth cables but with TN-C-S you need 10mm cables and that is up to you to provide.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi fisha,
As Eric says the whole area must be declared PME/TN-C-S and can't be done adhoc.
In an area of PME the Neutral/Earth is joined at sub-station, and every 3rd pole along road, this can be easily verified be looking at the poles for earth bond from N cable down pole to earth plate.
Further, although phase cables may have line taps the N will be crimped as the risk of losing N would mean also losing E which is unacceptable.

regards SPARX

fisha
Apprentice
Apprentice

earthing

Post by fisha » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:34 am

thanks alot guys. its an old TT system im dealing with, so im just gonna change the fuse board drive a new earth rod, then contact the supply authority

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 pm

I do hope you have a RCD on all circuits and knowledge required to test earth rod.

Nothing wrong with TT system in fact there are many places where the TN-C-S system is not allowed.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:54 am