new brickwork
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

new brickwork

by rambo77 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:21 pm

hi there, i'v recently had a conservatory built back in august with a dwarf brick wall on the outside and iv nocticed that the brickwork when dry from rain is turning white like a dry powdery stain i suspect this is damp obviously its still under guaruntee is this something i should be worried about ie should i call the company who built the conservatory to check it out

i must add the conservatory was built by a very well known national company

any advice appreciated

thanks

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:25 pm

This is efforvescence, basically salts in the bricks comming to the surface. It is nothing to be worried about but can be unsightly.
You can brush or scrape it off, but it is likely to return. There are products such as sealers that you can buy to help prevent this.

rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

by rambo77 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:32 am

thanks for your reply it does look unsightly could you name any of the products i could use

thanks

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:03 am

Sorry, only just seen your reply. I did not get any email notification.
You need to brush / scrape as much off as possible, to return the wall to it's former state. There is no point sealing an ugly white stained wall.
Products such as Thompson's Water Seal will form a barrier to water penetration, which will in turn stop the salts leeching out. You may have to repeat this treatment after 2 or 3 years.
You should probably not do this with a new wall. I think you need to wait about 3 months, check directions on can.
You can buy this and similar products at most of the large DIY outlets - B+Q, Homebase etc.

rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

by rambo77 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:32 pm

hi there thanks again

do you think i should complain to the company who built the conservatory or is this just what happens to some bricks

cheers

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:46 am

Some types of bricks are more prone to this problem. I have seen this on many front walls around where I live, spoiling some excellent brickwork.
So this is far from an uncommon problem.
I don't believe it is worth complaining, and you may well have chosen the bricks anyway.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:40 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 am