New ceiling light, confused by wiring behind old one!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimbo23
Labourer
Labourer

New ceiling light, confused by wiring behind old one!

Post by jimbo23 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi,
I want to put up a new ceiling light, which has a block of 3 terminals for L, N and Earth. Having taken down the old light, there is a confusing array of wires.
There are 4 cables, each of which have 1 red, 1 black and 1 unsheathed earth wires. The 4 earths have all been gathered together (one sheathed) and covered with LX tape. The black from cable 2 and the red from cable 3 have similarly been wound together into a loose terminal. The remaining reds (from 1, 2 and 4) have been put together into the central terminal of a 3 terminal block, with no wire coming out from the other side. The black wire from cable 1 goes into the right terminal, from out of which comes a brown wire, that was connected to the old light. The remaining 2 black wires (from cables 3 and 4) go together into the left terminal, from out of which comes a blue wire that connected to the old light.
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to wire up my new light (including earth)?
Many thanks,
Jimbo

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:18 pm

you have just said how the old one was connected, the new one is the same.
However having drawn out as you state it can't be correct.

It may be there are 2 lights working together, or maybe an extra feed taken off to maybe another light because there should only be 3 cables at a fitting.
one is L+N in from previous light,
one goes on to next light,L+N
one goes to switch.L+(sw)-L this is the black which is really a red!

Normally all 3 reds go together in a spare connector and don't connect to the light at all (loop-in).
Black/red sw_L to live of light.
remaining 2 blacks to N of light .
Your extra wires could be a second light which would need the black to go in with the 2 blacks and the red to go in one of 2 places, either with the black/red if switched light required or with the 3 reds if permanent light required.
more info needed to be sure please reply as to what the switch operates ie 1 or 2 lights,
Be careful, 'lectrikery takes no prisoners!!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:04 pm