New Ceiling Light...Fuse blows on light switch-off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Flash
Labourer
Labourer

New Ceiling Light...Fuse blows on light switch-off

by Flash » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Afternoon all,

I am looking for some advice. I have looked through the pages on this site and have been unable to answer my query.

I am installing a new ceiling light. When I removed the ceiling rose, my wiring is of the old style. There were 4flex cables, each containing a live(red) and black (neu) cable, with an earth wire. The light that I am fitting has a simple 3-channel junction block with live, neutral and earth inputs.
Initially, I made the mistake of grouping all 4 neutrals and all 4 live wires together, resulting in the lower lighting circuit tripping off when i turned the light off.
Following that minor oversight on my part, I have noticed that there is nowhere for the switching wire to connect to.

I may be doing something completely stupid that I've never done before but to save myself constantly blowing house fuses, is anybody able to offer any advice?

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Flash
Labourer
Labourer

by Flash » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Following on from my last post:

The light has 2 switches to it (hallway) and the ceiling rose is being replaced with a close-mounted fitting.
Is there any way of using the existing 3-terminal block with all the wires of the ceiling rose?

Apologies for the questions but im a bit stumped on this one.

Lee

ericmark

Re: New Ceiling Light...Fuse blows on light switch-off

by ericmark » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:36 am

"Initially, I made the mistake of grouping all 4 neutrals and all 4 live wires together, resulting in the lower lighting circuit tripping off when i turned the light off."

I would suspect the light is on all the time and it trips when you turn the light on?
You need four connections in order of how found on a ceiling rose.
Earth normally a clamp.
Switched Line normally two holes in connector one for switch wire often same colour as neutral with tape or sleeve to identify.
Loop Line normally three holes in centre of rose and do not connect to local lamp.
Neutral normally three holes.
What I think you have done it to connect the new lamp to the loop line and to have put the switch line with the neutral wires which will be a direct short when the lamp is switched on.
Your problem will be to identify the switch wire which is likely same colour as neutrals.
Problem is you seem to have one cable too many likely two feed from lamp rather than normal one. Two identify the switch wire with a battery and bell or similar is likely to be required. (Bell out as it's called)
I have tried to instruct before and in most cases the guy gets into a complete knot so unless you can identify the switch wire you most likely will need to get some one in.
Eric

Flash
Labourer
Labourer

by Flash » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks Eric.

I have identified the switch line (black with red sleeve). As I cannot gain access to the void above, I placed the 4 live wires into a separate terminal connector and taped them off, leaving the switched line in the live connection to the new light and the remaining 3 neutral wires in the neutral connection to the light.
On re-applying power, the light came on and remained on, regardless of switch position.

Flash
Labourer
Labourer

by Flash » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Cancel my last post. I reset my light switches and kept the switch line in the live terminal and it now operates normally.

Many thanks for your help though, much appreciated.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:24 pm