New double lights - Switch Issue . . . PLEASE HELP!!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattW78
Labourer
Labourer

New double lights - Switch Issue . . . PLEASE HELP!!!

by MattW78 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Hello there,

I recently bought 2 new Halogen style lights to fit into my lounge. These were to replace standard ceiling roses & have different connectors which is causing me much confusion.

They both run off a single switch unit with 2 switches. Having read through a lot of the forum items I was able to identify (I hope!) which wires are live & which are neutral. The main light wiring contained a loop through for the second light.

As the new lights only have 3 inputs (live / neutral / earth) I simply connected all those I believed to be live into the live terminal, all the neutrals into neutral & all earths into earth.

When I put the power back on the main light is constantly on & is unaffected by either of the switches. What I call the second light is all fine & functioning OK with the appropriate switch. This was at the end of the loop & therefore only had 3 wires to connect. I need to get the main light function correctly.

The connections are as follows (Old colour wiring).

FROM SWITCH (3 CORE & EARTH) > MAIN LIGHT
Red (Live) connected to Live Terminal on light.
Blue (Live?) connected to Live Terminal on light.
Yellow (Live?) connected to Red wire (Live) on 2nd light via chock box.
Earth connected to earth terminal of main light.

CONNECTIONS IN MAIN LIGHT
Live terminal = Red & Blue Feeds from main light.
Neutral terminal = Black wire from 2nd light.
Earth terminal = Earths from main feed cable & 2nd light.
Choc box - Yellow feed from main light & red from 2nd light.

CONNECTIONS IN 2nd LIGHT
Live terminal = Red wire.
Neutral terminal = Black wire.
Earth terminal = Yellow / Green wire.

I am stuck & don't know what to try. Any advice will be extremely gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Matt

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 am

MattW78
Labourer
Labourer

Thankyou very much for your help.

by MattW78 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 am

I am pretty sure that the first section of this document identifies the problem. It is basically that I am trying to do something that can't be done with the 3 connections I have within the light. I need to change the connector block to one with at least 4 connections!

Thanks ever so much for the quick reply. Very very useful!!!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:28 am