All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave876
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Hot Water Cylinder

by dave876 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi all,

I need to fit a new hot water cylinder - the existing one seems too small for the property anyway, and we are going to extend in the future.
FWIW - all the plumbers that quoted for a new boiler also said the cylinder was too small - but we weren't sure where it was going to be moved to at the time the new boiler went in, so we skipped swapping that out.

The fitting I can manage (I think!) - but not sure what size I should fit. Any pointers? The house (will be) a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house, with an additional shower room.

And any pointers on a model or brand? The system is open vented, fully pumped.

And of course - any other hints or tips while I'm at it?!?

Thanks,
David.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:43 pm

dave876,
Go to the range web site and download their brochure on copper cylinders - page 7 shows the size of cylinder needed.
Most cylinders are only guaranteed for 1 year which is why I recommend their supercal cylinders which have a 6 year guarantee and have double thickness insulation.
Location - make sure there are good supporting joists underneath preferably with walls below, not too far from the boiler, and bathroom.
end

dave876
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dave876 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:28 am

Hi Stoneyboy,

Thanks for the tips. Yes - I will check the joists when I rip out the old cylinder. Found a few nasties on the ground floor so far, but nothing upstairs to worry about (YET!). The current location should be fine though - right above the boiler, it will be above the kitchen when it gets moved, and next to the bathroom. So far, so good.

I was also just about to say that I don't know about the Range website - but (I googled RANGE and plumbing) but range and cylinder just turned up trumps.

Thanks,
David.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 pm