New Kitchen Mixer Tap Problem Using Flexi Hose Connector
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
therowes44
Labourer
Labourer

New Kitchen Mixer Tap Problem Using Flexi Hose Connector

by therowes44 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 am

Having fitted a new kitchen mixer tap a couple of days ago, using flexi hose connectors supplied with the tap, I have switched the hot and cold water back on at the valves fitted under the sink. The flow from the cold water is strong, but the hot water is ok but not great. The morning after, the overflow from the large tank in the loft began leaking and when I turned the hot water supply to the kitchen tap off, the leak from the overflow stopped. Since fitting the tap I did notice that there was a sound similar to flowing water coming from the tap. Can anybody suggest what the problem might be here.

The old tap was connected using copper pipes not flexi and the new flexi pipes are a smaller diameter than the old copper pipes, not sure if this is contributing to the problem.

keeflester
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: New Kitchen Mixer Tap Problem Using Flexi Hose Connector

by keeflester » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Did you take care not to twist the flexible tap connector? There is a soft rubber tube inside the braided outer which can easily be twisted which causes it to collapse and restrict the flow of water.

therowes44
Labourer
Labourer

by therowes44 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes i do recall twisting the hot hose l will get a new hose and replace. Would this restriction be causing the overflow problem. Thank you for your reply.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:30 pm

I wonder if the new tap is a non approved type with the water mixing in the spout. Is there just one outlet, or concentric outlets for hot and cold.
You may well need a check valve on the hot supply to prevent the cold back feeding into the hot.

keeflester
Apprentice
Apprentice

by keeflester » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:29 pm

The overflow problem could be coincidental but you might have disturbed a foreign body during the work and it could be lodged in the ballcock valve. An simple check you can perform is to manually open the valve wide by pushing down on the float then release. This will frequently dislodge debris which is keeping the valve from closing fully.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:04 pm

I've seen this problem before when fitting a kitchen. In fact, I've seen it several times. The first time, it took me until nearly 8pm one day at a customer's house trying to figure out what was happening.

Esentially, you have a faulty tap. There is a fault in the casting that is allowing the water to travel from the cold side to the hot when the tap is switched off.

You will need to return it for replacement.

keeflester
Apprentice
Apprentice

by keeflester » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 am

plumbbob wrote:I've seen this problem before when fitting a kitchen. In fact, I've seen it several times. The first time, it took me until nearly 8pm one day at a customer's house trying to figure out what was happening.

Esentially, you have a faulty tap. There is a fault in the casting that is allowing the water to travel from the cold side to the hot when the tap is switched off.

You will need to return it for replacement.

Every day is a school day eh! I never met that situation before, but I will remember that for again. Thanks plumbbob

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:50 am