new light fitting issues
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sgbass
Labourer
Labourer

new light fitting issues

by sgbass » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:04 pm

hi all fitted a new light fitting for my girlfriend at weekend but it keeps blowing fuses,it is a five bulb fitting which has replaced the previous single bulb i copied the wiring on the previous fitting which was two live wires two neutral and a single earth,i then turned power on and the light was working but soon as i switched it off the fuse blew in fusebox (five amp fusewire) which i replaced and it blew again also my girlfriend has two lights in the hall and she says she can only get one of these to work if she takes the bulb out of the other light and just has the one fitting with a bulb im at a loss any help appreciated cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:07 pm

hi sgbass,
Is wired into ceiling rose or connection strip?
Firstly a red and a black come from switch and a red and a black come from previous supply. It would be good if these could be identified!

It should work if you connect the two reds together. One red is your live supply and the other goes to your switch.
Then connect one black to the neutral side of lamp (blue wired flex) that should be your in-coming supply
and the other to the black to the live side of lamp (brown wired flex) this should be your other switch wire and have brown sleeve on it or red tag and the earth to earth terminal should really be two earths see if theres one got away in the ceiling.
Good Luck
remember to safely isolate electrical circuits before you carry out any work.
KB

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:59 pm

See our projects on replacing a light fitting and wiring a ceiling rose.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:43 pm