New light fixtures in Kitchen

Postby moz-uk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:42 am

Hello all,
I would like to replace 2 existing ceiling rose pendants in my kitchen with two new ceiling lights(a 3 spot flush mount and a hanging lamp). My question is can I do this or do I need to have an electrician wire them up and sign it off? Or, can I wire them up and have an electrician sign it off if that's building regs? Had a look at the Part P regs, but still a little confused.
Hope this makes sense, thanks.
moz-uk
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi, as you are not making any changes to the fixed wiring even though it is in a kitchen it's fine to DIY and doesn't need registering,
regards Sparx
sparx

Postby moggy1968 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:36 pm

yep, this constitutes a like forlike replacement so can be DIyed, just make a note of what cables go where. if the loop is in the light it can be confusing if you don't get it right, appologies if you already know this.
moggy1968
Progress to next rank:
98.7%

Postby moz-uk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks to both of you, very much appreciated. :)
moz-uk
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Postby moz-uk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:31 am

Hello again,
A friend of mine changed the lights for me 4 or 5 days back. Last night the bulb went on it as I turned on the switch(breaker did not trip). I thought it was just the bulb(brand new), but I put in a new bulb this morning and after 5 minutes or so, the bulb began to flitter on and off. I switched off the lights in the kitchen once I saw that.
Can anyone suggest any possible problems when he wired it up or can it just be another bad bulb? Thanks again.
moz-uk
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Postby sparx » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:43 pm

hi moz-uk,
either a loose connection at fittings terminal or if a bayonet type lamp a stuck pin,( not usual on a new fitting).
would get connections checked ASAP & wise not to use until done,
regards Sparx
sparx

Postby moz-uk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:06 am

Thanks Sparx.
moz-uk
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!