new sewer pipework
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gary22
Labourer
Labourer

new sewer pipework

by Gary22 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:11 pm

I am presently having an extension built which meant moving the existing manhole outside.

Before work commenced the builder said that he would move the
manhole outside & seal the manhole which would end up inside.
Once work commenced he said that he would not be able to move it outside because it would mean digging the next door neighbours garden up (they had just spent a lot of money doing their garden up).
He said that he would seal the manhole cover & put a rodding eye in the kitchen. We were not happy having a sealed manhole cover in the kitchen or having a rodding eye. He then said that he would put the rodding eye in the utility room.

He has raised the manhole cover, put in the plastic sewer pipes for the toilet, utility room and kitchen and laid the concrete floors for the whole of the extension, but has not put in any rodding eyes.The new sewer pipe run is a straight run through the utility room, toilet and kitchen to the manhole cover and verticals join the horizontal using t pieces.
My brother in-law who works with builders digging trenches etc., came to see us today and said that he thought all new sewer pipes had to be laid outside and he could see no reason why the manhole could not be outside.
He also pointed out that the sewer pipe for the kitchen is 18 inches away from the wall and thus wasting the room in a kitchen cupboard.

Should the sewer pipe be outside and should a t piece be used from a toilet? Also is ther any regulations about fitting any type of manhole in kitchens?

Any relevant information would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance. Gary.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Wed May 09, 2007 5:36 pm

They’re a few regs for drains and sewage’s pipe in the home.

I just can’t understand why they did not lower it and place a tile cover over it, like normal.

If you’re unhappy with the work or need some real advice on this subject, you should contact your local council building inspector.

They are always happy to help and its good free advice.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:42 am