NEW SHOWER
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chelseaman-1
Labourer
Labourer

NEW SHOWER

Post by chelseaman-1 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:07 pm

My query relates to the installation of a new shower in ground floor flat within a block of flats.There is electric heating and a hot water cylinder with an immersion heater within the flat

I do not want an electric shower , so what is the best option ? - I don't mind spending enough to get the best solution

thanks for any help

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

Post by marrtin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Not really sure of any other option than an electric. You haven't said how big the your tank and immersion or how it's configured.

Unfortunately with a standard set up you'd probably only get half a decent shower with a mixer type before the water ran out and then have to wait an hour or so for the water temperature to recover to finish off!

A modern 10.8kw shower is pretty good you know.

The only other alternative is an instant gas water heater, and consequently serious money and installation.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:02 pm

You can't fit a mixer shower direct off cold mains and tanks fed hot water, you would have to fit a cold water tank too.

This is water regulations and health and safety - because they say if the cold mains was to be turned off either to the house or to the street for any reason then you could be scalded as the hot water would still flow from the tank.

If your tank is on the same level as the shower - which I'm sure it will be then the pressure will be very poor.

Your best bet is to go for an electric shower - Mira are good and the pressure will be good.

chelseaman-1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by chelseaman-1 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:36 pm

thankyou for the replies.

Could a pump be fitted to improve the pressure as the tank is at the same leval as the shower.

I'm just not very keen on the look of the electric showers

Steve

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

Post by marrtin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:41 pm

Yes you can fit a pump on any low pressure system.

But I say again, with only an immersion heater to heat the water, a pumped shower will only give enough hot water for about a 5 - 10 minute shower. You would then have to wait 2 - 3 hours before any purposeful hot water was available!

Consider also, you would need to heat the water on the daytime tariff, which is astronomically expensive compared to other fuels (including Ecoomy 7)!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:33 am