All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rachelf
Labourer
Labourer

New Shower

Post by rachelf » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi all,

i am delighted to find this forum as it seems you are all very helpful.

At the moment my partner and i are trying to decide what type of shower we want installed. I have never used an electric shower that i thought was all that great as they all seem to have rubbish pressure and therefore would prefer to get a shower that runs off the heating system.

BUT the pressure at the house is only 1 bar - will i have poor pressure anyway no matter what type of shower i get. Is there anything that can be done cos now would be the time to do it?

Thank you

PS i see there are other threads about showers but did not want to hijack. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:14 am

1bar = approx 34 foot. About 10 foot in my mothers house gives a good shower. Fitted a power shower but now electric turned off just not required.

simpleton
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by simpleton » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:50 am

Yes just go for a standard gravity fed shower with a pump to boost pressure. You may need to get a larger cold water storage cistern fitted aswel to cope with the increased usage due to the pump.

rachelf
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rachelf » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks guys,

ericmark, sorry i dont quite know what u mean - "Fitted a power shower but now electric turned off just not required".
And are u saying that at 34ft i should have good pressure?

Simpleton, i will have to look into the cold water storage cistern, see what the craic is there.

diy dad
Labourer
Labourer

Post by diy dad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Just looking at the same issue myself. What we had previously was a Triton power shower which has a small pump mounted inside the box. The unit has an additional dial to allow you to adjust the speed of the pump and therefore the flow of water. It needs an electric supply (5 amps I think) and hot and cold water feed. Mira do on as well. They don't look as fancy as the chrome ones with separate pumps, but they work pretty well. Good luck

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:16 pm

diy dad - a 5 amp supply to the shower implies that it runs off the lighting ring in your house. are you sure about this? is it not a normal electric shower? in which case it will definitely not be 5 amp and will be 30 or 45 amp - considerable difference. and if its not electric shower then one would expect it to run from a 32 amp spur, not a 5 amp.

simpleton
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by simpleton » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:27 am

ive had a nasty bang off an electric shower and I can assure you it was more than 5amp!!!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:27 am