New wall switch keeps fusing!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bodger5
Labourer
Labourer

New wall switch keeps fusing!

by bodger5 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:02 am

Hope you can help, I have just fitted a new wall switch, 2 way, 1 switches on the downstairs light and the other switches on the upstairs light (2 way)
I wired the new switch exactly the same way as the old one, alas when I switch the breaker back on it blew the fuse and the upstairs lights blew. I re-fitted the old switch and it works fine. What am I doing wrong?

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:10 pm

You aren't wiring to an earth terminal or something like that are you?

I imagine if its a normal plastic switch plate you will have 6 holes into which you can place the wires.

1x COM
1x L1
1x L2

for each switch.

Make sure that all the wires go into the correct holes but even then, if the switch itself was faulty the light would either not work at all or would be on constantly.

Can you tell us what colour wires you have coming out each cable behind the plate and what holes they are wired too currently?

bodger5
Labourer
Labourer

by bodger5 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Sorry it has taken so long, I have had the builders in!

As you look at the switch the left side has black (N) going into L1 and red (L) going into COMM. On the right side it has N going to L2, L going to L1 and yellow which I only assume is Earth going to COMM. There is also another set of wires behind (red, blue and yellow) that are just hanging down? there is also a earth wire connected to the screw on the plate?!?

Many thanks for the help, I am still baffled.

Bodger5

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:26 pm