No h/water + c/heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robs-se
Labourer
Labourer

No h/water + c/heating

by robs-se » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:27 pm

Part drained the central heating to change a leaky radiator valve in an upstairs bedroom. Once changed i then released the ball valve in the expansion tank to fill the system back up but nothing happened, no water left the tank and tried bleeding the radiators upstairs to draw water through but no joy. Now i have no hot water from the taps and no water circulating in the heating system.

My thought is, if no water left the expansion tank to refill the heating there must be a big blockage in the down pipe. Would firing mains water down via a hose pipe down the outlet from the tank be feasable in shifting the blockage. And yes there is some black gunge in the system as well so will look to drain the whole system at some point but now the priority is clearing the blockage.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated

Rob

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:48 am

Drain the lot and start again large airlock

screech
Ganger
Ganger

by screech » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:39 pm

if it's blocked and not refilling then i'd do the following although the way i do it is too hard to explain (i pressurise the open vent so the air has no choice but to force it's way back up the feed, only a temporary fix) but the simple way is above the feed tank you should have a pipe overhanging, not every system has one, hopefully yours does. cut this pipe above the tank so you've got a nice vertical bit of pipe left. put a funnel in it and pour water down the funnel, simple. once filled and bled get a compression fitting and remake the pipe you cut, put the boiler back in to operation and away you go.

the mains water method will get you and the loft nice and wet and you'd give up before it made any difference.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1