No hot water
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dasiy jane
Labourer
Labourer

No hot water

by dasiy jane » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:18 pm

My hot water supply is not working. My water is run off an immersion heater (timer switch). I changed the boiler element about 6 months ago to solve this same problem, but unfortunately the water is running cold again!! How do i find the problem, do i need a new element again! how do i know if this has gone, is the timer faulty, has a fuse gone, where are the fuses? any advise greatly recieved.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:59 am

Hi Daisy,

Get a tame sparky to check it for you, you seem to have an underlying fault.

Hth

wimiu012uk
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wimiu012uk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:50 am

During daytime turn all appliances off and look at electric meter and note how fast rotating, turn immersion heater on and wheel should spin like a top which will show if heater element working.
If not as previous post mentions further investigation required by electrician.
If element working investigation required by plumber.
If element working and water still cool could be that the thermostat on immersian heater requires turning up as set too low.
Hope this helps.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:03 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:39 pm

It will depend on your system but the use of plastic header tanks has resulted in the thermostats being fitted with a non resettable over temperature device. However where a solid fuel heater is used one should have a metal or at least a tank able to survive with boiling water in it and the immersion heater will have a re-set button for over temperature as it can be triggered by the non electric form of heating.

Because of the death of a baby when a plastic tank failed when the immersion heater thermostat failed on many DIY sheds do not stock the re-settable type of thermostat and you have to go to a trade outlet and convince the guy behind the counter you know what you are doing and need the re-settable type.

Personally I would have banned plastic tanks unable to take boiling water for use as header tanks but that would have been too easy. Instead it has been made very hard to get the re-settable thermostats.

If there is only one form of heating then ignore all above. As to fuses etc normally three protective devices. At the consumer unit/fuse box often a dedicated fuse or trip. Also there may be a RCD at same location. Local to the tank there is likely a fused connection unit (FCU) this may also have an RCD as well. However for fuse or trip to open one would think there must be a reason. This could of course be a build up of lime if in a lime area and tank may need cleaning out.

Which leads back to the other comments about getting a professional. The problem is do you want a plumber or an electrician? If lime area I would go for a plumber as likely he will need to clean out tank. If non lime area then an electrician will more likely find the fault.

pansy22
Labourer
Labourer

by pansy22 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:37 am

Hello....i am pansy ...does anyone know of system which can purify first flash rain water...has anyone got any suggestions please?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:46 pm