No Power in Conservatory Room but Everything Else ok
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Carphead10
Labourer
Labourer

No Power in Conservatory Room but Everything Else ok

by Carphead10 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:35 am

Hello everyone. I have a problem with the power in my conservatory, basically there Is none. I was messing around in the garden with some lights and had them plugged into the outside wall plug. Suddenly one of the bulbs blew. As a result I have no power in any of the electrical sockets in the conservatory. It is quite new about 5 years old. I have checked the fuses in the main fuse box and all seem ok. All the lights and everything work ok in the house just no power in the conservatory or the outside plug. I have tried to see how they wired it up when it was built I thought maybe there is a fuse box somewhere but I cannot see anything. Not sure where the main feed to the conservatory is coming from. Any ideas I would be grateful.
Thanks

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: No Power in Conservatory Room but Everything Else ok

by proptech » Mon May 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi Carphead10

There's not a lot of help I can give you without knowing how it's wired up. If all the fuses/MCB are OK in the consumer unit, it could be that the conservatory is fed from a fused connection unit as a spur off the ring circuit.
As I say, there's very little I can say without more info.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon May 05, 2014 8:36 pm

I would be looking for a fused connection unit (FCU) common to use one to make a fused spur when adding a conservatory often it replaces a socket in the house or they use a twin socket box with a socket and FCU next to each other. Will guess it's a standard 13A fuse that has blown.

WayneDIY
Apprentice
Apprentice

by WayneDIY » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 am

Lots of great advice on this one. As all the fuses in the consumer unit are o.k. this would point towards a fuse that has blown further down the line.

The power for the conservatory is not coming directly from the C.U. so is likely to be linked down the line.

i.e. the power has been taken from an existing circuit, e.g. ring, via a F.C.U.

If you can find this I would guess that the fuse inside has blown and should be replaced. The next question is why did it blow? Maybe a power surge or another fault. Either way the good old fuse has done it's job.

Sorry, I couldn't add anymore...but I just wanted to post my very first reply.

Good luck and be safe.

Wayne

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 am

Welcome Wayne and I have found some really hidden FCU's before my mothers kitchen was re-wired I hunted for a fault and found two FCU's in series and one was under a cupboard. Just about on inch of the FCU showing had to remove cupboard to renew fuse.

It's a case normally of looking at original house and try to guess where sockets would have been as likely the FCU replaces a socket.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:41 am