Noisy Toilet cistern Ball Valve
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
George 1949
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy Toilet cistern Ball Valve

Post by George 1949 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 am

My son has a noisy ball valve in a toilet cistern it is a bottom entry valve. I am not keen to change the whole valve fitting as I would prefer not to break the connection to the mains water supply (my son lives 80 miles from me and is not keen on DIY so any problem after the event will be mine) are the valve fittings/diaphrams a standard thread/size? I cannot find a makers name on the fitting (it is a new build house so fittings are likely to be at the cheaper end of the market). I would like to buy a replacement and just fit the new internal valve leaving everything else intact.

One further point there is no overflow outlet so any leak could be a problem. Any advice would be appreciated also has anyone had experience of the electronic hard water treatment systems??

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Noisy Toilet cistern Ball Valve

Post by plumbbob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 am

It is difficult to answer your question directly because of the number of different valves on the market. As the rubber seal washers are the only parts available as spares, there will be little else you can do with the existing valve.

Far better to replace the whole assembly with a new, better make. The hole and connection are all standard by the way. If you do decide to go this route, make sure you replace the fibre washer as well in the connector to the valve, and don't overtighten the nut. Remember the thread is plastic!!!!

Be aware that fitting a new valve is no guarantee of a quieter fill. The high water pressure in some properties means that the filling will always be noisy.

Incidentally, modern toilets have internal overflows where the excess water drains into the bowl rather than in the traditional way of being routed outside.

George 1949
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Noisy Toilet cistern Ball Valve

Post by George 1949 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:03 am

Much appreciated the noise isnt the water filling it seems like the valve vibrating or resonating. I turned the water pressure down by a quarter turn but this has not solved the problem. I will bite the bullet and replace the whole thing.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:53 am