not as easy as i thought
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
flapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

not as easy as i thought

by flapper » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:26 pm

:( :( :( :( :oops:

have taken one two plug socket and one three plug socket, from a cooker switch and single socket, on the old plug socket ( cooker switch ) three wires, grey, red, green..........connected green to green , grey to blue, and red to brown..........switched on the mains, annnnnnnnnd nothing happens???? :roll:

i used to have an extension lead from the single cooker plug switch and it woeked no problem, what have i done wrong!!!

wifes not happy at all

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:26 am

1. Cooker sockets are normally found in kitchens and as a result the work you relate will come under Part P except for Scotland.
2. Three sockets on a spur fused to normal cooker sockets ratings of fuses would not be allowed unless you use 4mm cable.
3. If the cooker is fused over 32 amp you are not allowed spurs from it without fuses in the spurs.
Not sure where grey wire comes from normally either Red and Black or Brown and Blue but assuming Grey is a Black discoloured with age you seem to have got Red to Brown and Black to Blue correct and Earths with Green/Yellow sleeves together and to Earth not sure if you are taking this from switch out or in if on the out side maybe a fault on switch if on in side then more likely a physical mistake like not stripping enough back on insulation etc. This is not something we can help with.
There are some sockets with fuses in sockets when using three socket types maybe fuse missing or blown fusing the spurs does change the rules

flapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

by flapper » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:58 am

thanks ericmark for coming so quick to my rescue,
the grey wire is a grey wire coming from the off/on switch, could be a fault in the switch, as there were only three wires after i disassembled the old socket i assumed you just connected the wires to where the wires would go re colour code,
the socket was working with an extension cable before i started, i will retrace my steps and check the switch,

im in holland and not sure what the regs are as opposed to the uk,

missus still not happy!

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:19 pm

Not a clue about Holland far too long ago since I have worked on dutch system.

flapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

by flapper » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:37 am

had a young fella me lad come roond for a squiz,

get this!!!!
no wonder i got it wrong

new..................................................old

blue...............................................red
brown............................................green
green-yellow..................................grey

had a live wire on the earth :oops: