Odd Boiler/Water Tank Problem....
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ian Sheridan
Labourer
Labourer

Odd Boiler/Water Tank Problem....

by Ian Sheridan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:31 pm

If any one can shed any light I would be most grateful for your advice at any level...

In the good old days I would leave my boiler permanently 'On' and If I wanted to heat my house or water, I would press the '1 hour' switch on my timer for whichever I needed - until recently I came home from work to find my boiler was very hot and my newly topped up gas metre very low on gas!

My heating system has a strange intermittent fault where the gas boiler is active and burning gas, even though the hot water or gas heating is not on!

My timer system is not programmed, as my wife and I only use the '1 hour' button to heat the house or water as required.

Here's what I've noticed.

If the boiler is switched on and the Siemens RWB9 timer thingy is off (ie '1 hour button not pressed and no red lights), the hot water cylinder is whirring, the boiler is on and burning (wasting) gas.

If I turn the boiler off (it has an On/Off switch and auto ignite) the water cylinder will whirr to itself.

If I Flick the 'immersion' switch off on the fuse box, the boiler stops whirring (as it should when the hot water or heating is not on)

If the boiler is switched on, and I flick the immersion to 'on' at the fuse box, (still, the timer unit has no buttons pressed, and to programs set)
the whirring will start and within a second or two, the boilers will click and auto ignite.

Why has my heating system developed a mind of it's own???

Any ideas would by very welcome.

Thank You.

Ian.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:01 pm

The firs thing I would check for is a frost stat. This stat should be set at 3 degrees, and will override any room stat or timer.

This stat look like a normal room stat, and is often placed near the boiler.

As the outside temps have plunged in the last few days, this points in this direction too.

Ian Sheridan
Labourer
Labourer

by Ian Sheridan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]The firs thing I would check for is a frost stat. This stat should be set at 3 degrees, and will override any room stat or timer.

This stat look like a normal room stat, and is often placed near the boiler.

As the outside temps have plunged in the last few days, this points in this direction too.[/quote]

Nice tip - I'll check it out - it's sounds sensible as it seems to occur in frostier weather.

Thanks - I'll report back!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 am