Odd problem with fluorescent light strip
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Reynard
Labourer
Labourer

Odd problem with fluorescent light strip

by Reynard » Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 am

I've a fluorescent light strip (single tube fitting) in my kitchen that's been doing something really strange the last couple of evenings. It's something I've only noticed when the room is dark.

Usually, when I turn it off at the wall switch it turns off completely no problem. But right now, it turns off, then starts to glow a sort of pale blue-grey. The glow swirls around a bit, then dims, then comes back etc.

When I take the starter out, it gets worse - I noticed that when putting in a new starter, but that hasn't really cured the issue.

The tube itself is quite old and a friend has suggested electrical interferrence from somewhere. But beyond putting in a new starter or replacing the tube I'm out of my depth, so I'm wondering whether anyone can give me a heads-up and whether it's worth speaking to an electrician.

AideLiuX
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Odd problem with fluorescent light strip

by AideLiuX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Reynard wrote:I've a fluorescent light strip (single tube fitting) in my kitchen that's been doing something really strange the last couple of evenings. It's something I've only noticed when the room is dark.

Usually, when I turn it off at the wall switch it turns off completely no problem. But right now, it turns off, then starts to glow a sort of pale blue-grey. The glow swirls around a bit, then dims, then comes back etc.

When I take the starter out, it gets worse - I noticed that when putting in a new starter, but that hasn't really cured the issue.

The tube itself is quite old and a friend has suggested electrical interferrence from somewhere. But beyond putting in a new starter or replacing the tube I'm out of my depth, so I'm wondering whether anyone can give me a heads-up and whether it's worth speaking to an electrician.

I thing the problem is that neutral wire have some voltage.Its need to check with meter. If it is it is not safe anymore use your light strip.

AideLiuX
Labourer
Labourer

by AideLiuX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:19 pm

The problem is that som how neutral lightning wire gets from somwhere voltage.Check swith i thing he is not cuting power well or ther is burnings inside.Electricity go trugh them.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 pm

HI, try turning tube around, end for end.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 am