One cold radiator!?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kimarie
Labourer
Labourer

One cold radiator!?

by kimarie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi, have just put my central heating on and all radiators are functioning fine except for the one in our bedroom.
Have turned the thermostat valve (on the end of the radiator) up to full and have checked for air but it's stone cold.
We have an Alpha combi boiler, all radiators have thermostatic valves except for the hallway radiator which is static.
Help, our room is freezing!!
Kim

andy1
Labourer
Labourer

by andy1 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi Kim,
I had a similar problem as you describe. What had happened was that the little brass pin which the thermostat valve acts upon had become stuck shut so it didn't let hot water in the radiator even though you open the valve. It should be a simple job to remove the thermostat valve. Mine was held on by a metal ring which I prised off with two screwdrivers. I then pulled the brass pin up with a pair of pliers and gave it some WD40. It's a bit fiddly to get the metal ring back in place but I reckon this might do the trick. The result will be instant ! Andy

screech
Ganger
Ganger

by screech » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:34 am

unscrew the trv (thermostat) head and see if the spindle is stuck down, if it is you can either give it a hit with a big spanner or get a pair of grips and force it down a few times until it pops up. that's the fault 9 times out of 10.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:45 am

Hi Kim,

Take the TRV head off, it won't leak, it's prolly the pin is stuck down.
Gently move it with pliers up and down a little and a spray of WD40.

Hth

morphix
Labourer
Labourer

Re: One cold radiator!?

by morphix » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:40 am

[quote="kimarie"]Hi, have just put my central heating on and all radiators are functioning fine except for the one in our bedroom.
Have turned the thermostat valve (on the end of the radiator) up to full and have checked for air but it's stone cold.
We have an Alpha combi boiler, all radiators have thermostatic valves except for the hallway radiator which is static.
Help, our room is freezing!!
Kim[/quote]

Probably not a lot of help but I have the same problem with the added issue of the towel rail in the bathroom being constantly on. I need help too!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1