One cold radiator upstairs
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Clar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clar » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:23 pm

My daughter turned off her bedroom radiator before the summer. She could not get at the right hand knob to turn it down so she closed the valve on the left hand side. When we switched back on the heating this radiator did not heat up, this was a couple of months ago. Her room is cold and I have tried opening the valve and turning up the radiator heat control knob but it will not heat up. The pipes from the floor up to the radiator on both sides stay cold all the time. I have also turned off all the radiators in the house but for this one but it still will not heat up. Have you got any suggestions? The other radiators are all very warn and I have also bled it but water comes out immediately. I have tapped it along the bottom but not a hint of heat anywhere. Should I get in an central heating firm to sort it out as my daughter now has an electric fire burning in her room which is pushing my bills right up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :roll:

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:31 am

Hi Clar,
Is the right hand valve a TRV?
If so its prolly the pin sticking down-- take head off and pull pin gently up about 3 mm, spray a little wd40 on it also

Hth

Clar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:05 pm

[quote="Steve the gas"]Hi Clar,
If so its prolly the pin sticking down-- take head off and pull pin gently up about 3 mm, spray a little wd40 on it also

Hth[/quote]
Thanks Steve, Yes it is a TRV. I will have a look at how I can remove it and see if there is a pin in there. The TRVs a pretty old. We have been living here for the past 20 years and they were on the rads then. There are settings from 1 to 5.
Having had a look they are not all the same on all the rads. Will look in daughter's room once I get her out of the room. Will get back to you once I can gain access.

Clar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: One cold radiator upstairs

Post by Clar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:10 pm

[quote="Clar"][quote="Steve the gas"]Hi Clar,

Hth[/quote]
Thanks Steve, Yes it is a TRV. I will have a look at how I can remove it and see if there is a pin in there. The TRVs a pretty old. We have been living here for the past 20 years and they were on the rads then. There are settings from 1 to 5.
Having had a look they are not all the same on all the rads. Will look in daughter's room once I get her out of the room. Will get back to you once I can gain access.[/quote]

Thanks a million :D :D :D The radiator is now really hot, .... will have to turn it down a bit I guess. I am really pleased with your advice, you have saved me money not having to get an engineer in and for that I am really grateful. Thanks again Steve. :wink:

Clar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:12 pm

:lol: :D That worked great. Thanks a million.

Clar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: One cold radiator upstairs

Post by Clar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:13 pm

[quote="Clar"][quote="Steve the gas"]Hi Clar,

Hth[/quote]
Having had a look they are not all the same on all the rads. Will look in daughter's room once I get her out of the room. Will get back to you once I can gain access.[/quote]

Thanks a million :D :D :D The radiator is now really hot, .... will have to turn it down a bit I guess. I am really pleased with your advice, you have saved me money not having to get an engineer in and for that I am really grateful. Thanks again Steve. :wink:

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:33 am

Hi Clar,

Your'e very welcome, this is why forums like this exist,but, it's very nice to get feedback. The satisfaction that an educated diagnosis was correct.

Thanks.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1