Opinions Please on New Build Loft Boarding With 270mm Insulation
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
CodBadonde
Labourer
Labourer

Opinions Please on New Build Loft Boarding With 270mm Insulation

Post by CodBadonde » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to board the loft of a 4 bed, detached, new build home this weekend. This will be used for storage and ease of access around the loft space.

The house has no internal supporting walls and has the double layer of insulation, meaning that the boarding will need to be raised. Quick measurements of the joists around the hatch (in metric) were roughly 35mmx95mm.

I have searched around and have seen a few different routes I could go down:

1 - Remove second layer of insulation from area to be boarded and lay loft board straight on to existing beams.

2 - Use loft legs or similar to raise the level above the extra insulation. Loft boards to be fixed to these legs.

3 - Fix extra joists on top of existing joints to increase the level, allowing for both sets of insulation to fit under loft boarding. These can be fitted directly on top of existing beams or perpendicular to them. Will the increased weight cause issues with ceilings etc?

Any more ideas or opinions on any of the above would be much appreciated. I was intending on using loft legs but these seem to have mixed reviews from what I've seen.

Thanks in advance.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:18 am