outbuilding max height 4 metres from dpc??
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jagdeepp
Labourer
Labourer

outbuilding max height 4 metres from dpc??

Post by jagdeepp » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi guys, i'm a tad confused. Building an outbuilding at the rear of the garden. I'm aware that the max height in order to satisfy a 'permitted development' is 4metres.

We have had to install beam block flooring as we had clay soil. This has meant that the floor has been raised. Equally our DPC course is 5 bricks up after the telescopic vents.

In complying with the 4 metre height the Planning chap has suggested its from the ground literally regardless of where the floor or dpc lies.. The floor has a slope. He suggests its from the lowest end. The building inspector and my builder sing from the same hymn sheet when they say that the dpc level = the spot from where the 4 mtrs are calculated. I am stuck. Could someone please clear this up for me?!

Also in terms of eaves length the building regs say max = 2.5mtrs. My builder has suggesed that this refers to the 2.5 metres from ground level in the room itself to ceiling ridge not from the external. Again the building regs do not confirm whether eaves height refers to internal or external.. please help again. I dont want the building to turn out to be unlawful and at risk.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:45 pm

jagdeepp,
Since you are in touch with the planners you should get their ruling - draw exactly what you propose (including levels and dimensions) and get the planners opinion. If they say PP is not needed get this in writing.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1