Outdoor Socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TeTimothy
Labourer
Labourer

Outdoor Socket

by TeTimothy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if the following is notifiable:

Installation of a FCU as a spur from the existing ring main in conservatory (RCD protected).
SWA through the wall, fixed around the wall about a meter and into an Outdoor socket.

I understand that if this was fixed directly into the ring then it would be notified, as it is 'an addition of an outdoor socket into an existing ring'. But I have been told by an electrician that if it is done on a FCU then it is protected by the fuse and wont count as its not directly connected to the ring.

There are also some foot notes in the part-p document which say:
'Notification is not required if wiring passes directly through the external wall into the equipment.' - I guess this doesn't apply as the cable will be routed round the outside of the wall.

'Installation of equipment to the outside wall of a house is NOT notifiable providing there are NO exposed outdoor connections.' - The JB to terminate the SWA is on the inside, but would the connection into the socket (through a outdoor SWA gland) count as an 'exposed connection'?

Just wondering on your thoughts about this?

Thanks,
Tim

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:03 pm

The building regulations http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upload ... g_Regs.pdf list exemptions rather than what you must apply to do see around page 35 onwards and work it out yourself.

To me one can read the paperwork in so many different ways it is near impossible to give a 100% answer and it would come under the courts to decide and only after there is a bank of court cases could anyone give a 100% answer.

However to date as far as I can tell court cases seem to be limited to where the firm has claimed to be Part P registered and were not and were the work not only did not comply but was also dangerous.

One must ask yourself the questions
If you do the work
Can you test to ensure the RCD works at between 15 and 30ma and within 40ms?
Can you test the earth loop impedance and the prospective short circuit current and work out if it is within permitted limits?
Can you test the insulation resistance of the installation?
The likely answer is no in which case why take the risk as to Part P you may as well get a registered electrician to do the work ensuring all the correct paperwork is raised.
Assuming you can do the work including all the testing then is it worth the hassle if you ever come to sell the house to try and convince the buyer that Part P was not required when by then there may be case law covering it?

Lawyers may argue that the outside of a house wall does not consist of in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling. But personally I would think you would be on thin ice and I would not want to take the chance.

TeTimothy
Labourer
Labourer

by TeTimothy » Sun May 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks,

Can do the tests, Just not qualified/registered under Part-P as I never do any domestic work.

I hadn't thought about the hassle which could be caused when selling the house, if by then the rules had become more 'clear', or having to convince the new owners of the fact.

Cheers,
Tim

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon May 03, 2010 12:58 pm

I planed all work in my house before 2004 so as long as I stick to plans still OK????

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:30 pm