Outside light - Spare wire "EARTH"?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chasm
Labourer
Labourer

Outside light - Spare wire "EARTH"?

by chasm » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:17 pm

I have just purchased a new outside light fitting. When I came to connecting the wiring, N/E/L - there is, from the mains wiring a spare yellow sleeved wire which I take needs to be "earthed" somewhere. Trouble is :cry: there is nowhere to do this. When I connect it to the "earth" wire terminal the light stays on all the time and when I cover it with a plastic cover, the light does not work.
Where or do I connect this - what advice can you please provide.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Outside light - Spare wire "EARTH"?

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:18 pm

[quote="chasm"]I have just purchased a new outside light fitting. When I came to connecting the wiring, N/E/L - there is, from the mains wiring a spare yellow sleeved wire which I take needs to be "earthed" somewhere. Trouble is :cry: there is nowhere to do this. When I connect it to the "earth" wire terminal the light stays on all the time and when I cover it with a plastic cover, the light does not work.
Where or do I connect this - what advice can you please provide.[/quote]

chasm
An earth connection is normaly green and yellow and all associated wires are collectively connected to the metalwork of the fitting.
this yellow wire could be a live connection ,part of a manual overide
facility on this make of light.
outside electrical work is now part p notifiable because of it being a special location , and increased area of shock risk due to presence of water.
i think u need to get in an electrician to look at the connections and give u advice.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:33 am