OUTSIDE LIGHTS!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
harsh2uk
Labourer
Labourer

OUTSIDE LIGHTS!!

by harsh2uk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 am

I have disconnected the outside lights to tidy up the wiring, However I forgot to write down the wiring in the junction box and now can't get the lights to work!!!

The cable comes from the main fuse box via a fused switch into the porch. It is standard live neutral earth. The lights were connected to this wiring via a small junction box. Also connected was a photocell dusk to dawn sensor.

So the question is how do I reconnect these three sets of cable to get the things working again. I know I was stupid, but lesson learnt!!!

Thanks for any help.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi,
first point is do you know which wire is which from PIR? one was live in from spur, one Neutral from spur and to light, remaining one is sw.line to lights live, (plus earths together}.may have to open PIR to check.
regards SPARX

harsh2uk
Labourer
Labourer

by harsh2uk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 am

Sparx, Thanks for that.

I may be getting confused but the PIR(i.e dusk to dawn sensor) has only three wires, brown, blue and I thought Neutral?

The one from the fused switch (from the house) the electrician has marked on cable L and N (live and neutral?) The one to the lights is marked SW + N (Switch and neutral?) and the sensor has no markings on it. I seem to remember that not all the earths were in the same connection, is that for wire length or could an earth have been used for some other purpose!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:49 pm

OK lets try again, you may be right about earths as i suspect the PIR is wired with 3core flex and incorrectly (but often done )the green/yellow may have been used as a mains wire.
your 2 Neutrals do go together PLUS one of the cores from PIR You will have to look to see which one has been used for Neutral.
The Live from spur goes to one of the cores to PIR you will need to look to see which one is used for 'live in' at PIR.
the remaining flex core to PIR is switch line out to connect to live to lamp.
For PIR, Usually the brn would be live in, blue Neutral and Green/yellow used as switch line BUT must be marked Brn at both ends, HOWEVER not everyone uses same colours so you MUST CHECK!
regards SPARX

harsh2uk
Labourer
Labourer

by harsh2uk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Will have a look tomorrow and let you know, many thanks.

harsh2uk
Labourer
Labourer

by harsh2uk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 pm

Sparx,

You are a star. worked like a dream and wiring in the sensor was as you decribed. Many Many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi, nice to know we 'win' now and again, thanks for letting me know,
Sparx

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am