oven plugged in to socket
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

oven plugged in to socket

Post by prbaxter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:48 am

whilst I'm on the subject of our oven I thought I should just ask this to be on the safe side.

Our oven is plugged in to a normal kitchen socket with a 13A plug. I've done the maths and the current rating is ok for the fuse. However, the plug only accommodates live and neutral and no earth.

Should the oven casing be connected to the earth pin in the plug? There is an earthing screw point on the oven chasis, but nothing connected to it.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:13 pm

prbaxter,
"Should the oven casing be connected to the earth pin in the plug" YES there's probably a label or notice in the instructions saying "this appliance must be earthed"
end

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Post by toplondonchef » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 pm

prbaxter
When you say "the plug only accommodates live and neutral" do you mean that the cable is just 2 core or is there and earth core there but just not connected in the plug ?

Sometimes appliances have more than 1 earthing point to facilitate installation. Best to pull oven out and trace cable entry point and check the connections there, ie live and neutral and possibly an earth connected

Too many bodge jobs unfortunately without any thought on safety aspects

Let us know what you find

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am