Paint on wallpaper cracking
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nataliejane
Labourer
Labourer

Paint on wallpaper cracking

Post by Nataliejane » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Hiya,

I wallpapered (paintable wallpaper), left it for 2 days and then painted it. A couple of days later and it has started to crack like crazy paving.

From searching on the forum I have realised that I either have applied the paint too thickly or applied the second coat too soon.

Question is, can anyone tell me what to do as I'm panicking a bit now as the carpet is being fitted Monday morning and I don't know how to fix it.

Please can anyone offer any advice? I have left everything alone today but really need to try to sort out the cracks tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Paint on wallpaper cracking

Post by theshedman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:45 am

Hi, it could be what you say but I am more inclined to think that maybe there was a bit of wallpaper paste on the paper when you painted. If this is the case try wiping it off where the crazy paving affect is. If it comes off then that is what it was, then you can give it another coat and all should be fine. Let us know how you get on.

Nataliejane
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Nataliejane » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks for your reply theshedman,

I've realised now that the 2 walls that were papered the day before the other two haven't cracked so it must be due to the paste not drying properly on the other 2 walls.

I've left it alone for now but will need to try to cover the cracks later - any tips or ideas on how long to wait?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Post by theshedman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 am

Hi, if it is just the fact that the paper hadn't dried properly then just wait for a couple of days after papering to make sure it is fully dry then give another coat or 2 and that should cover up the cracks. If however if it is paste on the paper then you will need to get rid of it before you put on another coat or it will just crack again.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:06 am