PAINT REMOVAL FROM SANDSTONE MASONRY
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
J HARRISON
Labourer
Labourer

PAINT REMOVAL FROM SANDSTONE MASONRY

by J HARRISON » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:19 pm

I AM TRYING TO REMOVE PAINT FROM MY EXTERIOR DOOR SURROUND. ITS A 1930'S SEMI THAT HASNT BEEN TOUCHED FOR DECADES AND AROUND THE FRONT DOOR ARE A SERIES OF SANDSTONE SORT OF 'COPING' STONES. IVE USED STANDARD PAINT REMOVER AND IT IS JUST A NIGHTMARE OF ENDLESS LAYERS OF PAINT ! I HAVENT ACTUALLY MANAGED TO EVEN GET DOWN TO SANDSTONE YET SO IT MUST HAVE ABOUT 80 LAYERS! ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun May 06, 2007 9:29 pm

See our project on artex removal

Chivs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chivs » Tue May 08, 2007 8:50 am

The artex remover on the projects page would be the answer I am sure. It is a non-solvent, so it wont dry out quickly like solvent based products and will work for longer. If you paste it up then cover it with some kind of plastic film and leave it overnight it can remove up to 8 coats.

Now as far as a masonary paint is concerened it is a different animal to ordinary paints. It is much thicker and much more durable, and if it has been on for many years the sun and heat would of made it even more difficult to remove. You could also try scoring the surface prior to applying this product.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:49 am