painting a upvc door
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
louisegavan
Labourer
Labourer

painting a upvc door

by louisegavan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:38 pm

just wondered if anyone could help me please...... ive got an old white upvc door. But i actually wany a black one!!!
ive priced up a new one with a window company who gave me a quote of £800(we have a side panel as well!)
before i jump in and fork out the money , i wondered if its possible to paint the one ive got, i feel its alot of money to spent, as the new one is identical to the one thats there now!!! JUST BLACK!!!

its not going to be any great loss if it goes drastically wrong, as we would be skipping it anyway!

many thanks
lou x

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Look in the DIY stores & decorators merchants for a paint called problem solving primer. Clean frames and give a light rub down with some emery paper. Paint with the primer, leave to dry and then you can overpaint thenm with any paint you like.

LEO292
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LEO292 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 am

Louise, Please dont tell me your thinking of useing a brush! That would be a disaster!! It is possible to paint the door. First take the door off and lie it flat. Using a 150 grit emery paper give it a good rub and dust off. Spray it with a plastic prima. (see Halfords or Motor world) 2 coats of dark gray prima then 2 or 3 coats of black. Make sure youve masked up the glass and take the handles off. The frames a lot harder. Dont do it on a windy day or youll have black wall paper!! hehe. if you use 2 coats of laquor as well you can polish it and have the shineist front door in all of christledom! Good luck. Leo.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:03 pm