painting dark over light colour
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tockwith358730
Labourer
Labourer

painting dark over light colour

by Tockwith358730 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:24 pm

I have painted 2 coats of a darker matt paint over a pale silk colour in the bathroom and the pale colour is still coming through the dark colour through little cracks in the paint - what can i do to stop this? use a primer paint? use proper bathroom paint?

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Try another coat. if its a cheap matt it will be see through, and if its in a bathroom it wont last very long. Use a durable matt for bathrooms.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 am

Hi, I agree with JRS on putting on another coat or sometimes maybe 2 more coats depending on make of paint. I always use Dulux as I find it covers better with less coats than cheap ones so costs less as you won't need so much of it and takes less time to do. Even then I have found that the Dulux ready made paints, ie off the shelf seem to be thicker than the colours made especially for you, the type they mix in store. Putting light over dark or the other way around always takes more coats than like for like. A bathroom paint is definately the best to use as it has got stuff in it to help keep mould and mildew to a minimum and it does work.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:38 pm