Painting floorboard

Postby diyemma » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I am planning on painting my wooden floor and was advised by a tradesman that the floorboard should be sanded before applying the primer and floor paint. I was under the impression after reading numerous article on painting floorboards, that as long as the floorboards were not varnished, sanding was not essential. I am wondering whether the person I got advice from was trying to inflate the bill or making a sensible recommendation. will sanding really make a difference in the quality and look of the painted floor? I would be grateful to anyone who can help me decide on the right course to take here! Many thanks!
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby ZippyDoor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 am

Not much help really but If you are going to sanding, there is going to be a mess so there is a product that saves time and mess called zippyDoor its on ebay and its cheap, but really works lets just hope you dont have to do the sanding good luck
Progress to next rank:

Postby Chrisbond » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 am

You should really sand a floor before painting it as it helps the paint to key into the surface of the wood plus you get a nice smooth finish.
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!