Painting laminate kitchen worktops - advice required
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ceerobbo
Labourer
Labourer

Painting laminate kitchen worktops - advice required

Post by ceerobbo » Sun May 22, 2016 7:20 am

Hello All.

I am looking to update my kitchen on a very low budget and wondered if anyone has ever painted laminate kitchen worktops or would know anything about it? I have found a worktop painting kit which Rustoleum sell for 70 quid but they only offer gloss black or gloss white.

I was considering lightly sanding the tops, then spraying with this...

http://www.rustoleumspraypaint.com/product/stone/

and then finishing with this...

http://www.rustoleumspraypaint.com/prod ... tal-clear/

Would this work? Any comments, thoughts and suggestions would be hugely appreciated :)

Thanks

Balisier Concepts
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Painting laminate kitchen worktops - advice required

Post by Balisier Concepts » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Hiya

I've painted the laminate counterpoint in my bathroom as a temporary measure in Dec 2015 and it's holding up ok so far.. but that being said kitchen counteracts do get bashed about a bit more..

Though I haven't tried this yet.. I've seen really budget friendly and seemingly easy to do transformations using concrete to update counter tops... have a look online..

Aliyyah Brooks

rachi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Painting laminate kitchen worktops - advice required

Post by rachi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:12 am

why don't you give the the laminate work top or the counter top a look of the granite . all you have to do is, opt a granite-look counter top paint. This paint is designed to cover laminate, solid-surface, ceramic tile, wood or cultured-marble counter tops.

Remove the grease or dirt completely, if your wood or laminate countertops are damaged, you can simply fill in holes and cracks with wood filler and sand with 600-grit sandpaper before continuing. Then you’ll coat with the included black primer, which will show through the layers of colors you daub on top.

2) Dab and Blot:- After the primer dries for eight hours apply mineral colors with a sponge, you don’t want to make stripes or streaks, just flowing waves of color. This layer needs to dry for at least four hours.

3) Top coat : After a light sanding, you’ll apply topcoat as the final step, which will also need four hours to dry. Wait a few more hours before putting anything heavy on the surface, such as a toaster or a microwave. Use your countertop gently and keep it dry for about two weeks to allow it to cure completely.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:15 pm