Painting Liner Paper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chard_2
Labourer
Labourer

Painting Liner Paper

by Chard_2 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:51 pm

I've just hung lining paper all over the walls in my Dining Room. I sized the walls to help move the paper into place and everthing looked fine. I bought some paint about 3 months ago to paint directly onto the walls but decided to line them to get rid of the lumps and bumps. Anyway my wall papering must have gone slightly bad as when i painted i found air pockets and the paper bubbled up. Is it due to the paint type (emulsion)
or just bad papering? Any tips to get round this?

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:26 pm

I've had this happen too, although not with lining paper as I haven't used that. Happened to me with the textured anaglypta (sic) type paper.

Usually once it's dried out properly the bubbles have disappeared again. If you stuck with bubbles after its all dried out your only option would be to split them open with a sharp knife and re-paste them, although the wall papering experts may have some tricks they could share for a better way to do it.

ndp decoratoring services
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ndp decoratoring services » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm

if the bubbles appeared after painting this is normal as the paint dries they will dissapear.
if they were there before painting you haven't either pasted the entire piece or you haven't brushed the paper out correctly.
if the bubbles are still there use a scapel type knife (not a stanley this is to wide) slit them open and put paste behind then reflatten wipe of any excess paste and allow to dry, you will have to repaint and not just the area you cut open the entire area.
hopefully as the paint dries your bubbles will dissapear.
nige.

Chard_2
Labourer
Labourer

by Chard_2 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks

I made some more paste and slit open the paper. Worked a treat but you were correct, when the paint dried you couldn't see the bubbles anymore. You could hear the difference when you ran your hand over the paper though.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:29 pm