Parquet Staining Advice to get a Colour Match
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gavski
Apprentice
Apprentice

Parquet Staining Advice to get a Colour Match

by gavski » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm renovation a parquet floor and need some advice on finish.
One third of the floor has been replaced with parquet that is a slightly different color and I want to get them to match.

I have been told that it is best to put a light coat of oil on before the final Hard Wax Oil coat, as its a hard wood.
I am planning to get some tinted floor oil (Danish oil) and some natural floor oil and use the tinted coat to match the different piece of floor, natural oil on the original and then a final coat of HWO.

Never done this before and would like some advice if this is the best way to go?

thanks

DIYDoctor1
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Parquet Staining Advice to get a Colour Match

by DIYDoctor1 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:34 pm

If I understand the question correctly, you would like to get the whole floor to be the same colour? If so the only real way to do this is to sand the whole floor back and then re-finish it all with the same wax.

You could take a short cut, which may not actually turn out to be a short cut in the end. You will need to work on an 'unseen' patch and on a trial and error basis test a number of products until you get to the right, or nearest match.

Here is a project all about staining timber floors for more advice about how to apply stains and finishing:
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/timber.htm

And as a little plug for our shop, and assuming you do strip back the whole floor, we recommend this great eco-friendly varnish stripper as it's non toxic and works really well:
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... litre.html

Smithjones
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Parquet Staining Advice to get a Colour Match

by Smithjones » Tue May 27, 2014 6:49 am

The best you can do to make the floor equalization is to use the same wax throughout the floor. It would not only make the colour parallel but also is beneficial in terms of durability.

Yes, it can be heavy on you in terms of cost. To make it more economical, you can go with patch application on the cracked areas to have the smooth effect but for long lasting results, first option is recommended.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:30 am