Part P regs.
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
old sparky
Labourer
Labourer

Part P regs.

Post by old sparky » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm

HI there,Iam sure someone can answer me a few questions.
Firstly I am a retired qualified electrician,and my son has planning permission for an extension which comprises of two bedrooms and a bathroom.The only electrics in the bathroom will be lights which can be low voltage,there is no shower(its fed from combi boiler),and all plumbing will be in plastic so no earthing required.
The question is do I need to notify the local council regarding this work under the part P regs. Even though the only area covered by these regs is the bathroom ,which only has a lowvoltage light.
Many thanks.
Old sparky.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:49 am

The answer is yes because the bathroom is a secial location. 240v is low voltage or do you mean ELV?

In any case I suspect by the time you get round to this the 17th Edition will be the only one in force in which case supplementay bonding will be out irrespective of pipework material and all circuits will have to be RCD protected.

Cheers

old sparky
Labourer
Labourer

part p regs

Post by old sparky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks mate.
It can be ELV ,no problem,and it will be rcd protected.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:31 am

Follow the links on Projects and down load Part P. If you are not complete by July 1st then 17th Edition comes in and you may have problems with RCD's and if this means consumer unit change the you will need Part P. I think ELV still requires Part P but also check on what cables you are going to use. The flexishield allows you to get away without RCD on lights never used it but worth looking at.

Chris Langham
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Chris Langham » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Dear Old Sparky,

Nearly all work is now notifiable under the Building Regulations.
Bathrooms are special locations, and now the requirement under BS7671 .2008 is to have RCD protection to bathrooms. Formerly under BS7671 .2004 it was not mandatory in bathrooms, just good practice to install them.

As you are a spark it should be not problem for you, but the work should be notified to the loacal authority before starting.
The other route is to use a competent person from one of the competent persons schemes to do the work and self certify it for you

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

Post by eljaybee » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:24 pm

As a building regs application will be required for the proposed extension then you do not need to seperately notify building control. Part P is part of the building regs and as such it will be covered by the application for the whole extension.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:55 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:18 am